I wasn't sure that I wanted to make this dish or sit this one out. I am not a huge coconut fan and Ben hates cilantro. I really am not a fan of cilantro either but I can deal with it much better than him. In the end I decided to forge ahead because I skipped the jerk chicken last week.
While I was cooking dinner Ben walked through the kitchen and made a comment that it smelled good. I made no mention of the cilantro and he then proceeded to take a shower while the boys played outside. I quickly cut the cilantro (maybe he wouldn't figure it out?) and then realized that I had gotten coconut juice instead of coconut milk. I decided to use half coconut juice and half 2% milk, which seemed to work. As I was just about finishing up he came back into the kitchen and immediately stated that now the kitchen smelled like a "urinal". He is obviously very honest. I told him to just give it a chance.
I got the dinners plated up and took my pictures. By now the fish is no longer hot...which is probably how all of our dinners are eaten, right? As we are eating he says that it is good but there is some taste to it that he doesn't like. He told me that he thought that it was from the sauce on top of the fish. He really is too smart for his own good. I fessed up and told him that he was eating cilantro. He thinks that it the dinner would have been fantastic if I had skipped the cilantro. I tend to agree.
This was a fantastic meal. I especially liked the sauce and spinach. I served it with brown rice as recommended. Even though I prefer white rice it tasted great with the sauce. However, I agree with Ben and think that I should have skipped the cilantro.

Check out how all the other Ellie fish recipes turned out HERE.
9 comments:
Sometimes I skip the cilantro if I don't have any in the house, but we both really like it. Maybe it's better to leave it out and ensure that dinner will be a hit? In any event, yours looks delicious!
Your pics look great.
We weren't real fans of this recipe but...you can't like 'em all.
That's so funny about his urinal comment. Cilantro can be strong and a little overpowering, but we usually like it. Sorry it wasn't a big hit, but you tried. And welcome to Twitter!! I'm still confused, but working on it. :o)
Cilantro is the herb of the devil.
Avoid it like the plague!
We're DEFINITELY leaving it out when we make this tonight.
Your husband is smart :)
I love cilantro and am always happy when I have a chance to use it! I used chicken instead of halibut and that worked really well: a delicious meal!!
Glad you guys liked it this week. Ben sounds like a smart guy.
Good thinking on the coconut juice!
Too bad you didn't love the cilantro. Good call on the coconut juice+milk combination!~
Thank you :)
I'm glad you liked the recipe! It seems a dislike for cilantro is a common theme. I'm not crazy about it either, especially fresh. I found these little cubes of frozen cilantro and they seem to add a hint of the flavor without adding the "urinal" quality LOL
Heehee, I'm one of those cold food due to excessive picture taking people:) My husband and stepdaughter watch me dumbfounded as they eat and I snap away! The things we do:)
Post a Comment