
Anne of rainforest recipes chose the Crispy Fish Fingers. You can find the recipe HERE or HERE. Be sure to check out Anne's blog though. She actually lives in a Guatemalan rainforest. I don't think that I could ever do that. OK. I know that I couldn't! I don't even like to go camping longer than 2 days in a row.
I am sure that some of my fellow Ellie pals really enjoyed these fish fingers which have a very healthy spin on them. I just did not! First, I couldn't find any flounder filets at the store. I went with the mix of northern and walleye fillets that my dad had given to us from one of his fishing excursions. Oh, I wish that I hadn't of wasted them on this recipe. I even doubled the recipe because I had close to 2 lbs of fish thawed and didn't want to waste any. Sigh.
6 comments:
I loved the tartar sauce too, but the fish was just meh. Some things are meant to be enjoyed in their pure, naturally unhealthy state!
I didn't get to this one this week and I'm starting to feel like I didn't miss much. Whew! Sorry it was a disappointment for you.
It's unfortunate about the blandness of the fish. After reading some of the reviews on the Food Network site saying the same thing Sara decided to put some extra seasoning in the flour which I think helped a lot. I think a combination of marinating the fish/punching up the breading would make up some of the difference between their deep fat fried counterpart, but of course not all the way.
The tartar sauce was good, I'm glad we made it and will def. use it again (perhaps with some pickles in there?)
I LOVE walleye. My father has been obsessed with it since last fall when we happened upon some. It's not an easy thing to come by in the mid Atlantic you know. You should send your dear old dad back out to the waters!
Cheers.
Oh no, and now you have 2 lbs of this stuff! Maybe you can throw it into fish tacos, and spice things up with some salsa, sour cream and veggies? They can't all be winners I suppose:(
Sorry you didn't like this one. I threw some Old Bay into the flour and that seemed to help with the blandness. I think AJM's idea of making fish tacos with them is great. You certainly don't want that fish to go to waste.
You know, certain things shouldn't be tampered with - and deep fried fish is one of them. I agree with you, whole wheat breading is no substitute for good old fashioned crispy fried fish!
Post a Comment