Thursday, December 4

Jewel Roasted Vegetables - CEiMB

I wish I had more positive things to say about these jeweled veggies. I am struggling though, REALLY struggling. The only thing that comes to mind is that the dish was colorful.

Marie from A Year From Oak Cottage chose the recipe. You can find the recipe HERE or on page 244 in Ellie's cookbook. Be sure to check out what my fellow CEiMB members thought. I think that others enjoyed it much more than we did.

I considered not making the dish but didn't want to skip. I haven't skipped any yet. I am not a huge veggie fan and the list of veggies I do like is short. A vegetarian is something I could never be. I decided to halve the recipe, make it anyway and hope that I would be pleasantly surprised.

Since carrots are on my short list of vegetables that I like, I thought that I could just eat those if I didn't like the rest. The Hubster complained the entire time I was making the recipe and was not hopeful either.

The recipe was easy to prepare and looked nice in the dish. When it came out of the oven, the veggies were not tender. I thought that maybe it would have helped to cover the carrots, sprouts and garlic while they roasted for an hour. Everything except the beets were hard and crunchy. I was expecting tender and soft. The thyme taste sensation was not up my alley either. I seriously couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for hours after dinner. It was my first time eating beets too. I thought they tasted like dirt. The Hubster felt the same way and was much harsher in his opinions than mine. I highly doubt that this recipe will be prepared in our house again.

4 comments:

Peggy said...

Oh but your dish looks so beautiful! I actually did cover my veges while they were cooking the last half hour and they were tender. I think you would have liked it better if they had not been crunchy! I'm so sorry you didn't like it.

Mary Ann said...

I am so sorry that you didn't like this at all. It still looks lovely- better luck next week!

Cathy said...

But you get a major pat on the back from me for making this!! I generally like veggies, but two that I really don't like are beets and brussel sprouts. I just didn't see how I could get around the beetiness and the brussel sprouty-ness in this recipe, so I bagged it. And I feel terribly guilty! I think yours looks beautiful!

Stephanie said...

Now see, this is exactly the type of vegetable dish that my husband and I would LOVE! Beets and Brussels sprouts, carrots and garlic? yum... Even if I don't choose this one for Taste and Create, it's definitely on my to-try list!