Monday, December 15

Chocolate Crackles

Well...I don't think that Martha would be impressed! That is for sure. I decided to participate in a mini bake-along involving this recipe. The recipe comes from Martha Stewart's Cookies cookbook. It appears that the cookies made by others (Nichi, Judy & Susan) turned out somewhat taller and the powdered sugar did not disappear. Mine were flat, flat, flat. And the powdered sugar just vanished when they were baking.

Chocolate Crackles

INGREDIENTS:
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used a milk chocolate Hershey candy bar)
1 ¼ c. all purpose flour
½ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ c. butter, room temperature
1 ½ c. packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 c. whole milk (I used 2% milk)
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. confectioners sugar

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt bittersweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over the top of a pan of simmering water. Set aside to cool. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
In the bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add melted chocolate. With mixer on low speed, alternate adding dry ingredients and milk until just combined. Divide the dough into quarters, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Divide each piece into sixteen 1” balls. Roll in granulated sugar to coat, then in confectioners sugar to coat. Space 2” apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.Bake until surfaces crack, about 14 minutes rotating sheets halfway through. Let cookies cool on sheets on wire racks.

Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment in airtight containers at room temperature up to 3 days.

I have no idea why my cookies turned out like this. Maybe I added too much baking powder. I will admit that I didn't measure that part out very good. I don't think that substituting milk chocolate for bittersweet would have affected it that much either (I really don't like bittersweet chocolate). The cookies taste great though. They are crispy and chewy at the same time. Just not very pretty.

I am probably not going to be making this recipe again. The dough was hard to shape into balls and ended up completely melting in my hands. I also have no idea why Martha suggests to divide the dough into quarters to then shape 16 cookies out of each quarter. I didn't get anywhere near 16 cookies out of each of these quarters either. Maybe 10?? I have a much better recipe for chocolate crackles, or something similar, and will post that recipe later this week.

Thanks Megan for sharing the recipe and letting me participate!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh! Sorry you had so much trouble, I actually used my little cookie scoop to form them. Who's got time to cut and portion like Martha? And she pays people to do that for her!

But I really need to go see those cinnamon bun cookies you've got going on - and no nuts! That means I must try them!