Friday, December 26

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

I found this recipe at Growing up Mo. The Hubster has been completely turned off by some of the recipes that I have serving up as of late (more specifically, "Ellie vegetarian dishes"). Since I found a delicious chicken pot pie recipe from this blog awhile back (that he always raves about), I thought that this could be a winner. I thought right. He loved it, inhaled it and wants me to make it again soon. I must say that I liked it too. It had a little bit of spice to it which was great.

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Source: Pillsbury Casseroles and Slow Cooker Meals, volume 16 number 6

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups cut-up cooked chicken (I used approximately 1 lb. shredded chicken)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup chunky salsa
1 can 19oz mild enchilada sauce
1 can 11oz whole kernel corn, drained
1 can 16 oz chili beans, undrained
2 cups coarsely broken tortilla chips
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
1 medium tomato, chopped (3/4 cup)
1 cup shredded Cheddar Jack cheese (I used cheddar cheese)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In medium bowl, mix chicken, sugar, salsa, enchilada sauce, corn, and beans.
2. In ungreased 2 quart glass dish, place tortilla chips. Top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with onions, tomato and cheese.
3. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. If desired, arrange additional tortilla chips around edge of dish.

2 comments:

Mommy Mo said...

I'm so glad you liked it- we loved it! It's always nice to change it up a bit, isn't it?

I'll definitely by back to check out your recipes as I am always on the hunt for new ones : ).

Merry Christmas!

Megan said...

I think it looks great - and best of all, it doesn't contain "cream of something" soup.

This is being bookmarked, that's for sure!