
I participated in another bake along with Megan! I did my first one with her back in December and made chocolate crinkle cookies. I was very pleased with these cookies. I believe that the recipe came from Martha Stewart's Cookies cookbook. It was a great choice and helped me use some of the leftover buttermilk from the corn muffins that I did not care for earlier this week. I didn't like the tedious frosting of them but they tasted very good in the end. I told the boys that they were zebra cookies. They liked them too and the entire batch disappeared in 2 days. They are very cake-like and soft.
My batch only made 3 dozen cookies. It was supposed to make 4. I always tend to make cookies bigger than they actually should be. The dough was also very hard to roll in balls initially after mixing. Thanks Martha for noting in the recipe that I should have chilled the dough for awhile (sarcasm). It would have been much easier to roll the dough into balls and made more uniformed cookies if I would have done so. I also would probably have been able to get 4 dozen as well. Oh well.
As for frosting these bad boys...this was the only part of the recipe that I didn't like. I don't have a lot of patience and maybe it was a good thing that I didn't have another 12 cookies to frost. My frosting also tasted more lemony than it should have. I didn't read the recipe well enough the first time through to learn that I should have thinned it with water. I just added some extra lemon juice. oops! I liked the lemon taste though. So did the rest of us. The Hubster did comment today that there was a very strong lemon taste to them though.
Ingredients
Makes about 4 dozen.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add granulated sugar; mix until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk.
2. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls (or use a 1/2-ounce-capacity ice-cream scoop); place them 2 inches apart on lined sheets. Bake until bottoms turn golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool.
3. Whisk confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until smooth. If necessary, add more water (icing should be a bit thicker than honey). Transfer half to a small bowl. Stir in cocoa; if necessary, thin with water. Spread white icing on half of each cookie's flat side, and cocoa icing on other half; let set 30 minutes.

My batch only made 3 dozen cookies. It was supposed to make 4. I always tend to make cookies bigger than they actually should be. The dough was also very hard to roll in balls initially after mixing. Thanks Martha for noting in the recipe that I should have chilled the dough for awhile (sarcasm). It would have been much easier to roll the dough into balls and made more uniformed cookies if I would have done so. I also would probably have been able to get 4 dozen as well. Oh well.
As for frosting these bad boys...this was the only part of the recipe that I didn't like. I don't have a lot of patience and maybe it was a good thing that I didn't have another 12 cookies to frost. My frosting also tasted more lemony than it should have. I didn't read the recipe well enough the first time through to learn that I should have thinned it with water. I just added some extra lemon juice. oops! I liked the lemon taste though. So did the rest of us. The Hubster did comment today that there was a very strong lemon taste to them though.
Ingredients
Makes about 4 dozen.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add granulated sugar; mix until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk.
2. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls (or use a 1/2-ounce-capacity ice-cream scoop); place them 2 inches apart on lined sheets. Bake until bottoms turn golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool.
3. Whisk confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until smooth. If necessary, add more water (icing should be a bit thicker than honey). Transfer half to a small bowl. Stir in cocoa; if necessary, thin with water. Spread white icing on half of each cookie's flat side, and cocoa icing on other half; let set 30 minutes.
8 comments:
Hey another success! Yeah, frosting them is a bit of a pain, and I was heavy handed with the lemon juice as well. But the end result was great, and I am so glad you liked them!
Yours came out awesome... I dont like the fussy icing either, I just dunked them in and didnt bother with the 1/2 & 1/2 business.
These look great. I love black and white cookies. I will definitely try this recipe out.
-Sara/imafoodblog
Yes, I agree that the worst thing about the cookies was having to frost them. At first, I thought the frosting on the cookie would be disappointing for me. But after I chilled them a bit, I found they were fabulous. Cute idea, calling them zebra cookies! Oh, and your pictures are GREAT!
I must tell you that I'm quite angry with you at the moment! It's like -300 degrees outside & hubby refuses to let me go to the store. I was reading through this recipe and was like "Yes!! Yes!! I have all of these ingredients!!" and my mouth started watering... Then I realized, I have no buttermilk. Poopy!
FYI - My captcha says backery. Almost bakery. How neat. =D
I love black and white cookies, the minis are adorable!
Ooh yours frosted so much nicer than mine did! Glad to see you didn't have flat tops either. :-)
I am so impressed. I've always wanted to make black and white cookies but I'm convinced that they're too much work. Yours look wonderful!
Post a Comment