
The recipe started out disastrous! I started the cake around noon figuring that I would have plenty of time to get it baked, cooled and assembled for dinner this evening. I was concerned after reading the P&Q that the cake would not go my way. It sounded like a huge science experiment with the "diva eggs", heating them to 110 degrees, not over mixing, avoiding flour pockets in the batter, deflation, etc. I was extremely apprehensive.I did not have a 8 inch springform pans. I decided to use one of my circular ceramic casserole dishes that was almost 8 inch. I greased the heck out of it and lined the bottom with parchment paper. I put the cake in the oven and was thrilled that there were no flour pockets and the batter appeared to be high. I baked it for exactly 33 minutes and then decided to take it out of the oven. The top was super jiggly but I didn't want to put a knife in it because the recipe stated that it would most likely deflate and the eggs in the cake were still fragile. I left in cooling in the pan cooling for 5 minutes before removing. Then it happened. The cake completely deflated in front of my very eyes and the batter came oozing out of the cake. It was so underdone and I should have left it in baking for at least another 10-15 minutes. It then found a home in the garbage.
I am not one for defeat. If at first you don't succeed...try try again. I made the entire cake AGAIN! This time I think that I whipped the eggs and sugar a little longer than I did the first time. While it was baking in the oven, the batter rose over the pan and fell onto the baking sheet. I let it bake for at least 45 minutes before taking it out. When I did, it looked deformed. I obviously had to do some trim work to make it look better and circular though. The Hubster cut the top off the cake and then hollowed out the middle for me (He told me that he wants credit for that). We did enjoy the cake by itself. It has a very good flavor and is nice and soft.The filling for this cake BLAND. The Hubster is convinced that I forgot an ingredient. I double checked numerous times and did not miss anything. I normally love cream cheese and this taste like nothing. It needs something else. Maybe I should have drenched the cake more with the syrup sauce before assembling. I only lightly brushed it with the blackberry syrup mixture before adding the berries and filling in the center.
After the top is placed back on the cake, it is frosted with a whip cream topping. There is just too much fluff to this cake. The Hubster said that it was a waste of the delicious blackberries that I prohibited him from eating in the refrigerator all weekend. He thinks that it would have probably been better to just dump all the berries in the center, forget the cream cheese filling and top it all with whip cream. I know....he doesn't get that it would defeat the purpose of the recipe and it would basically be shortcake then. Maybe it will be better tomorrow after it sits overnight and the flavors soak together.
COMING NEXT TUESDAY: Chocolate Gingerbread Cake
9 comments:
$0.99 a pint for blackberries? whoa, that's cheap! sorry you didn't totally love the cake. i did have to add some extra sugar and vanilla to my filling, it was pretty bland.
.99 is cheap! Glad dyour hubby helped you. It is fun to have someone else in the kitchen isn't it? :)
My hubby also did the cutting for me. Sorry you didn't love the cake, maybe next week will be better. Though you did show good resiliency, be proud of that :)
Sara@imafoodblog
Yeah, my feeling was the same about the filling - no flavor at all. And I added more sugar, lemon juice and more sugar and it still was "meh". Bonus points to you for making the cake twice - I didn't even go there!
Holy smokes, that is a lot of fluff! I love that you tried the cake again, I think that's awesome!
Wow! I really give you a lot of credit for starting all over again! I love the way the cake looks with all of the "fluff" tumbling out of your cake. And what a steal on the berries!
We're all gonna have better next week...with no egg divas! YAY!
Hope your cold gets better quickly.
Take it easy.
I love how involved your hubby was - he gets extra credit in my book. And too bad it was so blah, but I do understand! I'm not in a hurry to make this one again.'
Nancy
Post a Comment