Tuesday, January 27

Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread -TWD


Edited to add: The gingerbread cake is gone this AM. Our food loving beagle somehow wrangled it off the counter. The glass baking pan shattered all over the floor. The cake had to be thrown in the garbage, which may be a good thing. The Hubster is very sick this AM as well. He doesn't know if it was from the gingerbread or the buffalo wings he ate last night for dinner. For all we know it could be the flu. Hopefully it was the gingerbread and not a second round of flu raging through our house again this month.


I was not very excited about this recipe. I really am not one for gingerbread and can take it or leave it. Most of the time leave it. But usually anything goes good with chocolate, right? I gave it the benefit of the doubt. The recipe was chosen by Sherry Trifle. You can find the recipe HERE, or on page 212 in the cookbook.

While making the recipe I was astounded by the amount of ginger that it called for. I used what the recipe called for though. The fresh, ground and crystallized ginger...I left nothing out. I did substitute semi-sweet chocolate for the dark. I used a 7" x 13" pan that didn't overflow while baking. However, it took much longer than the 40 minutes bake time. I think that mine baked for well over an hour.

For the frosting, again, I used semi-sweet chocolate. I really wish that I hadn't added the 1 tablespoon of coffee granules. I did not like the frosting at all. I am not a coffee drinker and this frosting was horrible. The cake was OK. I sure am not looking forward to eating it tomorrow though. The Hubster thinks that it is good. He liked both the cake and frosting. I guess that it won't go to waste! Good thing that I gave a hefty 3 pieces away to our babysitter too!

6 comments:

Megan said...

Oh man! What a bummer - sorry this didn't work for you at all.

Well, at least your husband and babysitter liked it - so it wasn't a total bust.

Anonymous said...

Your gingerbread looks wonderful. Too bad it wasn't your cup of tea. Maybe next recipe.

Anonymous said...

they can't all be winners, huh? i liked this a lot but did prefer it without the frosting.

Anonymous said...

I think this is the 3rd blog I've seen where a dog got to the gingerbread! Sorry you didn't like it, but at least you gave some away before it ended up on the floor.

Anonymous said...

Oh my dog would totally be in the gingerbread given the chance. She has swiped my husband's whole lunch before. You gingerbread does look delicious so that's gotta count for something even if it's not your favorite!

TeaLady said...

Seems like several dogs are gingerbread lovers. Glad you got some of it. Looks delish.