Wednesday, June 10

Parisian Apple Tartlet - TWD

I am late with this one. I realize that today is Wednesday, not Tuesday. We have been so busy with last day of school stuff, cleaning the house, etc. I made this tonight.

The recipe was chosen by Jessica from My Baking Heart. You can find the recipe HERE. Her pictures are great and her tartlet looks fantastic.

My tartlet was not so pretty. I went with a puff pastry made from scratch. I really wish that I would have just used the store bought stuff though. I may try this again at some point. It was really simple and would be so easy just to put together with some frozen Pepperidge Farm puff pastry some night after dinner. I used this recipe for puff pastry that I found from reading the TWD P&Q. It was OK. Maybe a little bland and very greasy right after removing it from the oven. I had to place the tartlet on a paper towel to attempt to remove some of the grease. I also read the directions wrong and cut my fuji apple into smaller pieces than necessary.

This would have been better if I hadn't of run out of vanilla ice cream to put on top. Ben didn't care for it. My sister and her boyfriend thought that it was good. They gave it a 7 or 8 rating out of 10.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Let's see, it has pastry, apples, sugar and butter? Sounds delicious to me!! Good for you for making your own puff pastry, most of us took the slacker route.

Marthe said...

Your tartlet looks delish! And you now what: don't worry about being late: sometimes life happens :)

nick said...

I liked these enough to give them (mostly) all away to prevent gobbling on my part.

Homemade puff pastry is not rocket science but it's def. up there on list of harder things to do. I wasted probably 5 lbs. of butter and multiple weekends before I finally got it right. I haven't checked the recipe you referenced but there are several good ones (and plenty of bad ones out there). La Cerise (French blogger) has an adapted version from Pierre Herme on her blog that I have used with great success in the past.

Don't be dissuaded, fresh puff pastry is something worth trying again!

Pamela said...

Oh no! You ran out of ice cream? THat's too bad! Sorry that the puffed pastry didn't work out for you. I have not tried making it myself, but I hope to...someday!!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Thanks for baking along with me! Sorry I didn't get to your post sooner - as long as it was yummy, I say it doesn't matter what it looks like! :)