I was excited to bake these cookies because I have never used a real vanilla bean before. I thought that they would look just like regular old beans. I was surprised when I found the vanilla beans in the spice aisle. I was a long strand that was folded over and smelled incredibly good. And only one bean in the jar. Just not what I was expecting!
Vanilla Malted Cookies - Page 149
2 ¾ c. all purpose flour
¾ c. plain malted milk powder
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 c. sugar
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped and reserved
1 large egg
½ tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degree. Whisk together flour, malted milk powder, baking powder and salt.
With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and cream cheese until creamy. Mix in sugar and vanilla seeds. Add egg and vanilla extract, and combine. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and mix to combine.
Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a ½” star tip (such as Ateco #825). Pipe 2 ½” strips onto parchment lined baking sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
Bake until bottom edges are golden brown, 11 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 1 week.
My cookies will not resemble the others. I did not have a pastry bag, nor a star tip, such as Ateco #825?? HUH?!) I was going to use my Pampered Chef Decorator. However, I decided to be lazy after I made the dough and put it in the refrigerator to chill for over 24 hours before baking them. Therefore, the dough was hard and would not come out of the Pampered Chef decorator. I decided to just roll them into balls and bake them.
These cookies were very good. Some of them were very crunchy the next day (just like Nilla Wafers) and others were very soft and cake-like. I think that depended on how big I shaped the balls into or maybe I undercooked those ones. I would definetely make these again.
Great pick! I would love to make some lime meltaways that I read were in this cookbook for another bakealong.......??
Vanilla Malted Cookies - Page 149
2 ¾ c. all purpose flour
¾ c. plain malted milk powder
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
3 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 c. sugar
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped and reserved
1 large egg
½ tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degree. Whisk together flour, malted milk powder, baking powder and salt.
With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and cream cheese until creamy. Mix in sugar and vanilla seeds. Add egg and vanilla extract, and combine. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and mix to combine.
Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a ½” star tip (such as Ateco #825). Pipe 2 ½” strips onto parchment lined baking sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
Bake until bottom edges are golden brown, 11 to 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature up to 1 week.
My cookies will not resemble the others. I did not have a pastry bag, nor a star tip, such as Ateco #825?? HUH?!) I was going to use my Pampered Chef Decorator. However, I decided to be lazy after I made the dough and put it in the refrigerator to chill for over 24 hours before baking them. Therefore, the dough was hard and would not come out of the Pampered Chef decorator. I decided to just roll them into balls and bake them.
These cookies were very good. Some of them were very crunchy the next day (just like Nilla Wafers) and others were very soft and cake-like. I think that depended on how big I shaped the balls into or maybe I undercooked those ones. I would definetely make these again.
Great pick! I would love to make some lime meltaways that I read were in this cookbook for another bakealong.......??
3 comments:
Mine were mostly cakey (David said they were dry), but I like the way you shaped them. Go for the easy way!
Were you surprised at how expensive the vanilla bean was? Here they are about $10 for 2. *gasp*. I have to find them cheaper online.
The teriyaki chicken looks great too!
Arizona vanilla beans or other vanilla bean vendors on ebay - that's how I get mine and last time I bought 25 vanilla beans for about $15.
I'm with you on the shape of the tip, never heard of that kind before!
These cookies taste good in any shape. I'll make them again when I find some vanilla malted milk powder, although I may not pipe them again.
Teriyaki chicken is one of my favorites, too.
Post a Comment