Tuesday, November 4

Rugelach - TWD

I was not excited about this week's choice. When I looked at it in the cookbook, I thought that it looked like a crescent roll with ground hamburger stuffed in it, definetely not a dessert. But I decided to go with it, follow the recipe and probably wind up liking them. I procrastinated all week until this afternoon to make them.

Grace from Piggy's Cooking Journal chose this week's recipe. You can find the recipe HERE or on page 150-151 in the cookbook.

You are probably wondering how to pronounce this dessert...I was thinking it was something way different than it actually is. It is pronounced Rug-ah-lah.

This little cookie is actually a pastry that is basically made of flour, butter and cream cheese. The pastry is rolled and stuffed with raspberry jam, cinnamaon sugar, bittersweet chocolate, almonds and currants. They ended up looking like mini crescent rolls. Some other bakers substituted different jams, fillings, nuts, etc. I decided to stay with the original recipe though.

I can't say that I liked this cookie. I know that I would never make them again. I can't put my finger on exactly why I didn't like them either. Maybe it was because of the bittersweet chocolate. I seem to enjoy milk or semi-sweet chocolate much better. My husband liked them though and is planning on eating them all.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about the chocolate. I changed to milk chocolate with no preserves the second batch. They were great.

Lifeisinthechaos said...

Sorry they weren't well recieved at your house either. I will say that I used some excess dough to make a galette-looking thing with the same ingredients and it is actually pretty good - better at least. The dough is much lighter and flakier than my over rolled disasters.
Let's hope next week is better (but I hate raisins - I'll be switching those out for sure!).

CB said...

I agree. This wasn't my favorite Dorie recipe but I blame the baker (me) more than the recipe. I migth try again but probably not anytime soon. Ah well... there's always next week!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Marthe said...

Too bad you didn't really liked these.... Because I'm not a big fan of unsweetened chocolate I only used half the ammount, that way the rugelach turned out okay!