Monday, November 17

Oven Baked Wild Mushroom Risotto


I am not sure where I stumbled across this recipe, but it is delicious. This was my first time making risotto and I can say with certainty that I will be making it again. I really like mushrooms and this has a great mushroom and Parmesan cheese flavor. We ate it as a meal and it is very filling. However, I am thinking that the next time I make steaks...this would be a great side.

Oven Baked Wild Mushroom Risotto
Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side dish

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
8 ounces fresh, dark gilled mushrooms
2 1/2 ounces butter
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
7 ounces Italian Carnoli rice
5 ounces chicken stock
2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
salt and black pepper to taste

To finish:
2 ounces parmesan cheese, shaved into flakes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat parsley

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl with 2 cups of boiling water poured over them. Set aside to soak for 30 minutes. Slice the remaining mushrooms about 1/4 inch thick.

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan and add the onion. Cook it over gentle heat for about 5 minutes to soften, then add the sliced mushrooms, stir well and leave to the side for the time being.

When the dried mushrooms have had their half hour soak, place a sieve over a bowl. Line with a double sheet of paper towels and strain the mushrooms through this, reserving the liquid in the bowl beneath. Chop the mushrooms finely and then add them to the mushroom mixture in the pan. Keep the heat low and let the onions and mushroom sweat gently for about 20 minutes, in order to release all their juices and flavour. Do not colour.

Put a shallow casserole dish into the oven to warm.

Add the rice to the mushroom mixture and give it a good stir to coat it with butter. Add the chicken stock along with the strained mushroom liquid. Season to taste with some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring up to the simmering point, then pour the whole mixture into the warmed casserole dish. Stir once and then place it on shelf in the middle of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 20 minutes exactly.

Remove from the oven and gently stir in the grated parmesan cheese, turning the rice grains over. Put back in the oven and bake for 15 minutes further. Remove from the oven and serve immediately, spooned out onto warm plates and garnished with the shavings of parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of parsley.

No comments: