Well....I had intended to quit CEiMB. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I do like making new and trying new recipes. I just don't think that I will be making the chosen recipes that I know my family will not like. I have no intention of wasting money on exotic (at least to us) veggies or things I know we will not enjoy. I know that defeats the purpose of trying new things because you never know what you may end up liking. But....oh well.
The chosen recipe this week was chicken with mango BBQ sauce. Aggie from Aggie's Kitchen chose the recipe. You can find the recipe HERE or HERE. It was a winner. I had fun making the sauce using an onion, red pepper, brown sugar, mango, red wine vinegar, worchestershire sauce and 3 jalepeno peppers. Although, there were some other ingredients that I just can't think of off the top of my head. The only variation to the recipe that I did was to marinade my chicken for approximately 4 hours instead of only 1 hour.
This was very good. I really enjoyed it. I wasn't going to tell my husband that it was an Ellie recipe because he has sworn off Ellie. However, just before broiling the chicken I let the cat out of the bag and confessed. This was after he mentioned that there was something good being cooked up in our house. He thought that the marinade/BBQ sauce smelled good. All of those good thoughts got kicked to the curb and he immediately wasn't excited for dinner anymore. After dinner he admitted that it wasn't bad. He said that he wasn't wildly excited for me to make it again though. I had a lot of leftover sauce that I froze and am going to try it with some type of grilled fish when we start grilling out more now that the weather is warming up. I should mention that I am not a fan of BBQ sauce and I didn't think you could really qualify this as a BBQ sauce. It was tangy, sweet and mildly spicy though.
This was very good. I really enjoyed it. I wasn't going to tell my husband that it was an Ellie recipe because he has sworn off Ellie. However, just before broiling the chicken I let the cat out of the bag and confessed. This was after he mentioned that there was something good being cooked up in our house. He thought that the marinade/BBQ sauce smelled good. All of those good thoughts got kicked to the curb and he immediately wasn't excited for dinner anymore. After dinner he admitted that it wasn't bad. He said that he wasn't wildly excited for me to make it again though. I had a lot of leftover sauce that I froze and am going to try it with some type of grilled fish when we start grilling out more now that the weather is warming up. I should mention that I am not a fan of BBQ sauce and I didn't think you could really qualify this as a BBQ sauce. It was tangy, sweet and mildly spicy though.
Great choice Aggie!
7 comments:
I am glad you are still cooking along with us some weeks! I think you need to do some psychological experimenting with your husband, maybe he is just predisposed to dislike Ellie's recipes if he knows they are hers. Keep us posted :)
Hear you on the leftover sauce bit, we had quite a lot. I read a comment earlier today where someone suggested perhaps using it on pork, but now that I read your post some good ol' bbq fish would work well too.
Let loose with the truth after that compliment on the smell huh? sigh... I've been there too.
Ha ha - deception at its finest. I agree with you - don't make the stuff you don't want to. That's why I dropped out of BB - too many recipes my family won't eat!
Oh no! I was sad to read that you had even considered leaving our Ellie group! I would miss you. I think with any of the groups we have to pick and choose what will be good for our family. I have found most of Ellie's to be great, but a few I can live without. Some things we just have to keep secret from the husbands, huh? Your chicken with mango looks fabulous!
Funny! Great idea to use the leftover sauce on fish. It looks great!
Welcome back.
Good idea to use the barbeque sauce on grilled fish! I sometimes don't tell M. exactly what goes into our food...he's happier that way. I'm glad you're still with us! I think we all have to make changes that make the recipes work for us, or it's not fun.
I think participating when the recipe sounds great is the way to go, too. I wonder if you hadn't told your DH if he would've liked it more. Glad you will be cooking along when you can! :o)
Post a Comment